Saturday, June 5, 2010

Two-a-Day

I don't know what is involved in a football practice two-a-day, but at my house, it refers to a really long, hot day of outdoor activities that necessitates two showers in one day.

My Saturday started with a shower so I could be presentable for a visit with a sweet friend here in town who gave birth to twins last week. Little miracle babies, they are, and so precious.

I left that visit and got home in time to swoop up the rest of the family to go sledding. Yes, we went sledding in Texas in June.
Okay, so the video isn't that good; but I think the dramatic Elton John music more than makes up for it. (The music was playing on a loudspeaker, I didn't add that lovely touch.)

It's a local phenomenon, brought to you by the university ski team. Yes, Texas apparently produces ski teams. Who knew?! I sure didn't. What's even more fascinating is that they practice on white astro turf. I kid you not. Man-made mountain, white astro turf, high-pressure water hose to get it all wet, and you can sled in Texas in June. It took a couple of rides with daddy for A to get brave enough to go by herself, but she eventually did it and had a blast! I, too, scaled the heights of artificial wonder, but that video shall remain on my hard drive.

We were all quite sweaty from our sledding adventure, so we came home to cool off and have lunch. Then we all napped quite well before getting ready for a backyard birthday party. Can I just say that these friends are going to be the coolest teenagers in high school? You know you got major mommy mojo when you fill a wading pool with red jell-o for your 3-year-old twins' birthday party.
Notice C picked the cleanest spot to get in? Notice she doesn't really want to put her toes down? Notice the lack of other children? You would think something like this would be a blast for little kids, but I think I saw more grown-ups squishing it between their toes than kids. Now, the wading pool full of chocolate pudding was another story. Neither of my girls would get near it, but a few kids did full body pudding wallowing. There were also pools full of plain water, also lots of fun.
And a slip-and-slide that would not stay plugged, no matter how hard A tried to cover all the holes.
A very gracious party guest painted lots of faces, and the superhero mask to seemed to be the most popular choice. Of course, A wanted her mask to be pink.
Top off all that fun with an ice cream sundae bar, beautiful cupcakes, and a candy buffet for filling treat bags and we were done! Back home, the girls went straight into the bath while I pulled supper together. Needless to say, I caught my second shower after the girls were in bed. Day like today only confirmed my choice to eliminate the natural deodorant. And now it's time for squeaky clean me to go to lay in my crazy comfy bed, with my climate controlled air and count my blessings. 'Night, ya'll.

No comments: