Monday, August 31, 2009

Allow me to introduce you...

Our little A is becoming such a young lady. Her vocabulary has always been noteworthy; but it never ceases to amaze me when she picks up on conversational contexts and fits right in with adult conversations. Yesterday evening we were at a church social, seated across the table from some visitors. We did the usual introductions and proceeded with our meal, only to be interrupted by her little voice, "This is J, he's my father; but I don't always call him that." No, I don't always claim him either. She paused for laughter, then proceeded, "This is Sarah, she's my mother and that is C, my baby sister." All with a regal flourish of her little hand in each of our general directions. So grown up!

A few days ago, she caught me getting dressed in my closet. I tried to get everything on before she got there, but to no avail. So, naturally, she wanted to know, "Mommy, what's that?" May as well be matter-of-fact about it. "It's a bra, part of Mommy's underwear." I'll spare you the long conversation about the differences between girl and boy underwear and their appropriate terminology. She concluded that "one day when I'm a lady, I'll wear a...uh...o...obruh." "A what?" Mommy wants to know. "An obruh." "An oprah?" "Yeah, yeah, an oprah!" Oh, honey, save Oprah and the bras for a few years yet, please?

No comments: