Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Growing Up

My babies are growing up really fast. I know that is so cliche to say, sorry. A has started sleeping on the top bunk and loves it. This time last year, we were fighting to get her out of her crib so her baby sister could have it. And she's going to have surgery in a few weeks! In my mind, for whatever reason, that takes away just a little bit of her childlike innocence. It's hard to maintain that the world is pure and unblemished once you've had surgery.

She's also really gotten interested in skirts and dresses. She picks one out to wear almost every day. They have to be tested for their swoosh-ability. Then they are showcased for Daddy. There have been a couple of occasions when I've pantomimed behind her back to help him notice whatever lovely thing she donned for his homecoming. He's learning quickly, though. She recently told me--after seeing her babysitter's pretty painted fingernails--that she wanted to paint her toenails either green or brown. I was surprised it wasn't pink or purple, but told her that I would need to talk to Daddy about whether or not she is old enough to paint her toenails. To which she replied with the biggest eye roll, "but Mo-om, I'm three and a half!" Yes, baby girl, that is my point exactly.

C is growing fast, too. Nothing like that first haircut to launch you out of babyhood. She's working on her fifth tooth and is starting to realize that she can stand independently. I never would have imagined it would take her this long to walk. But more significantly, she has dropped her morning nap. Almost spontaneously, she just flipped a switch and wasn't doing that any more. If I try to put her down for "quiet time" in the morning, she'll rest for about five minutes before she starts fussing. Then her afternoon nap is a total wash for having that pause in the morning. Crazy kid. She's giving the sweetest kisses now. You get a slow approach as your warning, then just a gentle rest on your cheek. That slow, gentle approach is how you know it's a kiss and not a head bonk.

Savor it, Sarah. Soak it in. Take note. Stop and stare. Thank you, Lord, thank you.

No comments: