Saturday, March 13, 2010

Try It, You'll Like It

I've been cleaning my face with oil for about six weeks now and I loooove it!! Love, love, love, love, love it! (You have to sing that last sentence for maximum effect.) My skin feels great and I cannot say enough times how super cheap this solution is. My inner cheapskate does a little dance whenever I think about it. Like I said about the hair routine, I am definitely more satisfied with this solution because it is simple and cheap. The fact that it is natural is an added bonus.

So here's what I've been doing at night...I start with a dry face and squirt about a nickle-sized puddle of my oil blend onto my fingertips. I started with equal parts olive oil and castor oil and this is working well for me. You can tweak the ratio depending on your skin type, using more castor oil for oily skin and less for dry skin. I gently rub the oil all over my face for as long as it takes for the water to get hot in my sink. Then I get a washrag wet with hot water, wring it out and throw it on my face to steam all the gunk out of my pores. I leave the rag there until it cools off to room temperature. Rinse the rag, wipe oil off face. Done. I don't even need to dry my face. In the morning, I just splash some water on my face and go.

I expected my skin to feel really oily and greasy, but it doesn't. It feels like I just put on good moisturizer. A few times, I have grabbed my commercial face wash for convenience sake and regretted it every time because my face felt like it was going to crack. I remember this feeling and having to slather on moisturizer. Makes me wonder if the cleanser doesn't just strip my skin, then the moisturizer clogs it up in a vicious cycle. I have acne-prone skin and I have not noticed that cleaning with oil perpetuates this problem. I don't think it is going to solve the problem since it doesn't eliminate my hormones, but I have noticed that the blemishes I get seem to heal a little faster.

The beauty of all this is that I originally mixed about eight teaspoons of oil in my 97-cent ketchup squirt bottle. I didn't want to make too much in case I needed to fiddle with the ratio. Well, that eight teaspoons lasted about five weeks! I just recently had to mix up more. My 6-oz bottle of castor oil cost around $4.50 and a 25-oz bottle of EVOO costs $5.80. If my math is right, then I'm spending about $0.68 every month to keep my face clean and moisturized! Every month! Not every wash...every month! Dance, cheapskate, dance!!

You know you wanna try it. Go on...it's not hard. Can't hurt, right? If you don't have an inner cheapskate that thrills to the numbers, then think about all the chemicals you're keeping out of your body. And it really hasn't been a hassle to find the ingredients, mix them up, etc. because a little goes so far. Try it, you'll like it. And let me know all about it.

3 comments:

Donnae said...

Sarah,
You're an awesome blogger! Now I have one more thing on my morning list - read Sarah's blog :) So glad to catch up with you today. Miss you, miss you, miss you! We'll be praying for Anna's surgery on the 22nd.
love ya,
D

Jenny said...

and your hair...are you liking the baking soda?

lori said...

I've been using baking soda and honey for my face wash for about a year now. For my skin--it's just what I needed:) and sooooo affordable:) If you need a good exfoliate, give it a go!