Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Smellin' Coffee

We were all in the car recently and A was in rare form as a comedic genius. She loves to make us laugh. We try to be careful at what we laugh at because we know she'll beat that horse into the ground if we laugh at it. This particular night, though, she had us rolling. Most of these are probably "had to be there" moments, but I'm sharing them anyway because I was there and I will always giggle when reminded of them.

She started our little trip with a game of "I Spy." She took a turn spying something, whereupon it is customary for Mommy to take a turn. Not so this time. I was informed that it was C's turn. Then we heard a squeaky little high-pitched "baby" voice come out of the back seat in A's general direction. "I spy with my little eye something red." Then change back to her normal voice, "Oh, is it the stop light?" Never falling out of character, she flipped back to C's voice, "Why, yes, it is! Good guessing." And the follow-through with good manners, "Thank you, C. Now it's Mommy's turn." I know...you had to be there. You'll just have to take my word for it that her ventriloquism routine was hilarious.

We tried not to laugh at her rendition of the Larry Boy theme song, but it was complete with falsetto echos. It did cease to be funny after the 209th round of it. Which reinforces my earlier statement about being careful what you laugh at.

On our way home, we all piled in the car and had barely closed the doors when I noticed an interesting aroma slithering amongst us. My mouth was open to make a remark when A piped up, "WHAT is that smell?!" Life experience had already acquainted me with the smell of J's caramel macchiato grande venti upside down latte or whatever doctored coffee it was. And I have slowly learned to temper my opinion that not all humans appreciate the aroma of fresh-brewed coffee. But A is still learning. She may as well have been me five years ago, lamenting the recirculated air that she was forced to inhale, tasting that smell with every breath. It was stinkin' hilarious. J just looked at me as if I was somehow responsible for her anti-coffee indoctrination. I started laughing, which made her laugh and then we both laughed together as Daddy actually drank the stuff making that smell. It's nice to have another super-sniffer in the family, especially if she's going to take my side on the coffee debate.

No comments: