Tuesday, December 15, 2009

11 Months

I remember when A was a newborn, other moms would tell me to savor every moment because it goes by so fast. My internal narrator would scream, "NO! It is crawling by in torturous, sleep-derived seconds!" Going from no babies to one baby was like moving to Mars--other worldy, wholly foreign, culture shock. Adding a second baby was not nearly as dramatic a change. For the most part, we knew what to expect and how to respond. Her little life merged into ours much more smoothly. Now I can echo the other moms' sentiment that those tender moments really do fly by and before you now it, the first year is almost gone. Today is C's 11-month birthday.

I had predicted that she would be walking by Christmas, but I think that was premature. She is crawling really fast, especially when she's heading for the roll of toilet paper. That has got to be hands-down her favorite contraband. I was doing dishes the other day when A yelled at me, "Mom, I need your help." I finished up the dish I was on and dried my hands before going to see what she needed. Baby girl had unrolled the entire roll of toilet paper and big sister was trying to get it all in the toilet. The closer I got, the faster C's little hands pulled. I could hear her speed up and start squealing. Ha! I just realized what we're getting her for Christmas...one of those free-standing toilet paper holders and a mega roll of Scott tissue! (I told J that idea and he said it would be even better if it would roll itself back up. Why doesn't someone make that as a toy?! You could market it to babies and cats. Brilliant!)

Less forbidden are the balls of baby socks that she loves to play with. She's been pretty grouchy lately when she gets up from her second nap, so I cuddle her and let her play in my lap until she's ready to ease into the afternoon. I handed her a couple of socks one time and she must have played in my lap for half an hour with those socks, hiding them in any little crevice she could find, stuffing them under her own leg, then pulling them right back out again. Socks are good friends right now. She really hasn't picked a lovey or stuffed animal to cling to. We've offered several, but can't tell that she really has any preference for them. She falls asleep sucking two fingers, but we seldom actually see her sucking on them. I don't think it's nearly as satiating for her as it is for A.

She's also pulling up and cruising around on furniture. She'll take a few wobbly steps with a push toy or holding on to a chair. But crawling is definitely the way to get around right now. She has three teeth, but that fourth one will be here any day. Still loves frozen peas, and she definitely thinks jar food is so last month. Dad did get her to eat some bananas by holding the jar up to her mouth like a cup. She slurped about half a jar that way. I tried not to watch. Wasn't quite as effective with the jar of carrots.

She's been in a screaming phase for the last few weeks and we are making progress toward curbing that means of communication. Progress, not perfection. We're trying to teach her the signs for "more," "juice" and "all done" since most of the screaming happens at meal times. J says she makes the sign for "milk" for him, but I've never seen it. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that she understands "no mouth" and I'm actually really proud of her for obeying that instruction more often than not.

Where did 11 months go? Sweet baby girl, it is going too fast. Slow down--the toilet paper will always be there and it won't be long before you know how to open the door.

No comments: