Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Super skin saver

This is a really superficial post.  Literally skin deep (couldn't resist).  But I've found a new skin care secret and I want to tell the world!  I actually have to give a hat tip to SimpleMom.net.  She's very granola and has lots of great natural, frugal ideas for health and beauty, like homemade shampoo, deodorant, and face cleansers.  Most of these ideas test my comfort levels and/or require mixing of products that I either don't have on hand or don't make the time to mix up.  One of her tips caught my eye, though, because it required no mixing and I already had the product--lanolin.  She recommended it for lip balm.  Makes sense, doesn't it?  I still had some on hand, so I tried it and I have to say it works wonders!  Usually during the winter I have to keep chapstick in my pocket, but I apply some lanolin at night and don't need any more until the next night. 

I figured if it worked so great on my lips maybe it would help the dry, itchy skin on my hands.  It's a little sticky to be slathering on as a general lotion, but I spot treated my cracked knuckles before bed a few nights in a row and haven't had to use my prescription lotion in weeks!  SimpleMom points out that lanolin is basically sheep sweat, which is not the most pleasant thing to think about when putting it on your lips.  But if it's safe enough for breastfeeding babies, then I can get over its origins and relish in my healthy skin.  End of infomercial.

3 comments:

tpot said...

Sounds good! I need to pick some up for the purpose of breastfeeding. I haven't had to use that in a long time! Loved the post on the fish. Are we crazy or what, but we just added a 10 gallon to our home as a present from grampa. Crazy. Beta seems much more manageable! Welcome to the family, Peter Mr. Beta fish.

TheLudlows said...

I totally used that tip too! Thanks for sharing her site- I've enjoyed it.

Anonymous said...

okay..so i have been using it for years...when i first shared that secret, my friend thought i was nuts, but i use it on my hands (put on socks before bed) and on my heels (with socks)i use it in the summer for a quick "toe shine" when i wear my open toe shoes!! jpetter